Delhi: Mother-Son Duo Die of Suffocation After Inhaling Smoke From Coal Stove


No foul play is suspected and inquest proceedings have been initiated under Code of Criminal Procedure section 174, an official said. (Representative image/ PTI)

No foul play is suspected and inquest proceedings have been initiated under Code of Criminal Procedure section 174, an official said. (Representative image/ PTI)

According to officials, police were informed about their condition on Sunday at 6.16 am, following which they were rushed to the hospital

A woman and her two-year-old son died of suffocation in South Delhi’s Maidan Garhi area after they inhaled smoke from a coal stove that engulfed the room in which they were sleeping.

Following the incident, her husband and her two other children were taken to the Safdarjung hospital and is currently undergoing treatment.

According to officials, police were informed about their condition on Sunday at 6.16 am, following which they were rushed to the hospital.

The deceased, Anjali (23) and her son Shambhu died during treatment, officials said. Meanwhile, Dinesh, Divansh (6) and Devanshi (4) are currently hospitalised.

Police said it is suspected that smoke from the coal brazier, or ”angithi”, filled the unventilated room in the intervening night Saturday and Sunday.

People usually light these stoves to keep themselves warm during winters.

No foul play is suspected and inquest proceedings have been initiated under Code of Criminal Procedure section 174, an official said.

The family lived in a rented accommodation in Asola, police said and added that it has been their residence for the last two years.

Dinesh, they said, worked as a gardener at a farmhouse in the Maidan Garhi area.

(with PTI inputs)

Leave a Comment